EXCERPT POETRY_2_A dream within a dream

 *AL MUTANABBI*

Not everything a person desires will be attained

    As the wind flows against the will of the boats 

*Khalil Gibran*

It is said that before entering the sea

    a river trembles in fear

*Edgar Allan Poe*

Take this kiss upon the brow

    And in parting from you now

thus much let me avow

    you are not wrong, who deem that my days have been a dream

yet if hope has flown away

    in a night, or in a day

in a vision or in none

    is it therefore the less gone?

all that we see or seem

     is but a dream within a dream

I stand amid a roar

    of a surf tormented shore

And I hold within my hand

    grains of the golden sand

how few, yet how they creep through my fingers to the deep

    while I weep while I weep

O God, can I not grasp them with a tighter clasp

    O God can I not save one from the pitiless wave

Is all that we seen or seem

    but a dream within a dream

 


Comments